Goals and Objectives
SmileHigh has set the following goals and measurable objectives to ensure successful accomplishment of its mission to reduce the level of dental caries in all Nepalese children:
Goal 1: To improve the diet of Nepalese children and families in remote areas of Nepal by:
- Educating children, teachers and parents about the consequences to dental and general health of eating foods high in refined sugar and drinking ‘fizzy’ drinks high in acidity;
- Promoting the value in high consumption of healthy foods and minimal consumption of processed foods high in refined sugars;
- Educating children, teachers and parents about the importance of timing and method of consumption of sugary foods, including the risks when they are taken, and
- Educating about the dangers of smoking to oral health and general health.
Goal 2: To reduce the susceptibility to dental caries by:
- Educating children, teachers and parents about the correct frequency and technique of tooth brushing;
- Making fluoride available via toothpaste to children to help harden tooth enamel, and
- Providing an adequate supply of toothbrushes and toothpaste to those children who cannot obtain them.
Goal 3: To provide basic, preventative dental services in remote areas of Nepal by:
- Ensuring that all children receive an annual dental examination;
- Treating all basic decayed teeth in the field, restoring with anti-decay materials;
- Placing fissure sealants on adult molar teeth which due to their fissured anatomy are very susceptible to decay;
- Making provision for more severe cases, where complex and potentially painful procedures are required, to be treated at a dental clinic in Kathmandu where a qualified anaesthetist is available;
- Promoting positive attitudes toward dental care and dentists by avoiding painful procedures and saving teeth whenever possible, and
- Providing funding for the third therapist.